Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Game On. Opening Day.

Over the past 2 weeks, Cole spent his days in the hospital and his nights with us.  Today, he will be admitted to the hospital for several months to begin the next phase of treatment.   He'll undergo general anesthesia to have his central line catheter installed into his heart, then begin a cocktail of chemotherapy, steroids and anti-viral medications.  Those will be administered over the next several weeks to eliminate his immune system and prepare him for the bone marrow transplant that will take place at the end of this month.

We took him out to McDonald's for dinner last night.  He's only been to McDonald's a couple times in his life, but we bent on our principals and allowed him to be in control for a while.  He's earned it, and will continue to do so over the next two years while he recovers.

After dinner, we cut his hair short to minimize the effects of going bald from the chemo.  Surprisingly, he seems more concerned with gaining weight from the steroids than losing his hair.  I look forward to the day when he's old enough for nature to cause both his baldness and weight gain.

As I type this, Cole sits next to me, reminding me to thank everyone for the notes, prayers and love.  The comments and support keep his spirits high.  He also saw a commercial promoting the Reds opening day tomorrow and asked if we can go to a game.  I'm an Indians fan, but would happily take him to a Reds game.  I'll even go so far as to root for the Reds to make the playoffs in hopes that I can take Cole to watch a game in person in the Fall.   Game on.

14 comments:

  1. I will pray for you!
    I am in touch with a doctor that created an immunotherapy that can heal any cancer boosting the immune system instead of shuting it down. If you want to know about it you can email me. I would be glad to connect you with him!
    check
    http://www.immunovative.co.il/
    My name is Marylène and a good friend of Judd.
    You can reach me at miraclebib@hotmail.com

    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you all in our prayers - what a trooper Cole is, and such a polite gentleman, to be thanking people for all the love being sent his way!! May need him to extend some etiquette lessons to my 9 year old son ;) - Kathleen (Jeff and Alisa's friend/neighbor in NC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it neat at 5 Cole may think a buzz haircut is the rave. My grandson Alex, loves when my daughter cuts his hair with the razor for his summer cut, he says it is cooler - and now we laugh that my hair is longer than his after losing it from my chemo. Keep up
    the special things you are doing, he deserves it. Baseball game sounds perfect. Peter and I keep reading the updates, and our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Andy is excited about driving with Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandma and grandpa Siegel love you sooooooooooooooooooooo much Cole. More than words could ever tell.
    Our hearts are there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you the man cole!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love you Cole! Can't wait to see your smiling face. I've been practicing my Candyland skills, so game on kiddo! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cole it is grandma Siegel. I know you are an amazing kid with a lot of power. So just use those powers to your advantage and work hard to get better. Take care and give mom and dad lots of hugs from us. Here is your hug.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs and hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))). Kisses too XXXXXX OOOOO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fred and Donna CannonApril 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

    Cole you are in our prayers and know you are tough and doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kisses from Auntie! Let's chat soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our family continues to pray for Cole... You are all in our thoughts and we are inspired by your family's courage. Remember how many of us are pulling for you! Hang tough, Melissa (Kravitz) Suey and family

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeff & Janet: As we discussed, I moved my flight from Saturday the 14th to Thursday the 12th. I land in Westchester around 7 PM. I'll then head to your house. Ryan and I can leave for Cincy Friday morning if you want. Looking forward to spending time with Carter and Ry-guy. -Love, Uncle Andy

    ReplyDelete
  12. tell us which Reds game Cole wants to go to...Red-Mets....we will set him up!! (or any game he wants!) PLEASE let us know! warmly, the tusianis (ctusiani@optonline.net)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeff, It's Kristen Fallon Zabell. I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know I'm thinking of you and your family. I have been keeping Cole in my prayers and really appreciate you opening up your story to us all with this blog. I hope it's therapeutic for you. It certainly is beautiful all that you're saying. Please tell Cole that even someone you haven't seen in 20+ years (really?) is praying for him. I have a daughter, Karsen, who is 10 and a son, Zach, who is 7 and they think Cole is a superhero for all that he is going through and the stellar attitude he is maintaining. And as a parent I so sympathize with you and your wife not only for the battle you're helping Cole through but also the time apart from Carter and Ryan. I would hope I could be that strong but I don't know that...I think you 2 must be superheroes as well. That's where Cole must get his superhero powers. Anyway, count us in for lots and lots of prayers coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeff: I share everyone's sentiments about you, your family and especially Cole. I will be keeping all of you in my prayers....Chris LaPlaca

    ReplyDelete