Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Journey Begins

After months of seemingly endless testing, today begins the path toward treatment for Cole.  Treatment starts by heading to our new home at Cincinnatti Childen's Hospital for a week of intense physical testing to insure Cole is well enough to proceed.   Following testing will  be several weeks of chemotherapy that will kill his current bone marrow to make way for new, healthy marrow from his brother Ryan.

It was difficult watching my wife say goodbye to my 10 year old daughter, knowing that they would likely not see each other for 6 months or more.  Once Cole starts treatment, he can't have outside visitors who may carry infections and viruses.  It was even more difficult knowing that my family would never be the same once I started the car and drove away with Cole, Ryan and my wife while my daughter waved goodbye.

While it was easy to ask "Why him?" after he first got diagnosed, it's just as easy to ask "Why not him?"  Though the odds were in his favor never to get this disease, it turns out that no amount of money, love, or preparation can prevent it.  HLH strikes only one out of every one million children.  Perhaps we should've played the lottery the same day we got the news.   It's a genetic mutation passed on from each of the parents.  In fact, even more rare is that Cole's mutations live on two separate genes - something the doctor, the world's leading expert in HLH, said she'd seen only two other times in her career.  Maybe two lottery tickets were in order.

I recall speaking with the doctor when she first diagnosed Cole.  After she began explaining the disease, I remember hearing the word "genetic" echo in my head as my heart raced, realizing that I had two other children from the same gene pool who must now also be tested.

In many ways, despite the rarity and severity of the disease, I consider us lucky.  Lucky because my two other children ended up testing negative, lucky because we were able to find a donor in my older son and lucky because Cole has been able to work himself into a natural state of remission heading into chemotherapy.  I'm hopeful that this luck continues to work in his favor throughout treatment.  That would be the only lottery I care to win right now.

7 comments:

  1. Don't forget to THANK God in your prayers. We are doing well here, but miss you all already!--Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fred and Donna CannonMarch 19, 2012 at 12:25 AM

    To the family of Cole. My husband and I (Fred and Donna Cannon) live across the street from Jean and Gary Siegel. We too have followed Cole and his family on their journey thus far. We pray everyday for all of you and for the very best outcome. You are right, this is life changing. Remember the sun always shines after the storm. We will continue our prayers and will try and take good care of grandma and grandpa! Bless all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, my friend. Wasn't sure if I should write as you are in the midst of so much and we probably haven't talked in over 5 years :) But then I figured, why not?

    I can't imagine what you are feeling, but I hope that mixed in all the emotions you are also feeling all the love and hopeful thoughts that people are sending.

    I'm thinking those good thoughts right now....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Head High you have a army of support behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! We are Day +106 post transplant for HLH at Cincinnati. We are here to support you in any way possible. Many have done so for us, and we are here for you. Many prayers. God Bless
    Tania Erdmann (Mom to Mira Erdmann)
    414-807-5626
    tkerdmann@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. God's blessings to all of you! Our prayers are with you from Colorado!!! Histio Grandma to Nataly Grace...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mira I have you in my prayers. You are special.

    ReplyDelete