Thursday, March 15, 2012

Meet Cole

Our 5 yr old son, Cole, came into this world with an opinion about everything. From politics to fashion, he's not afraid to share his opinions with anyone willing, or unwilling to listen.

Cole is fiercely independent, funny, smart and tough both physically and mentally. Now, Cole's toughness, and ours, will be tested in the most challenging battle any of us has ever faced.

In the Fall of 2011, Cole was diagnosed with a very rare blood disease called HLH (Hemophagacytic Lympho Histiocytosis).   The disease prevents his blood from regulating in the fight against infection.  Without the ability to regulate, his blood seeks other things to attack, including his liver, spleen and other internal organs.  Ultimately, it kills its host unless treated.  Our little 5 year old host who once wore a Batman costume for 6 months straight.

This is a story of our long journey with our son's rare disease. A disease with minimal information, virtually no funding and a staggering mortality rate.   In many ways, it may have been easier to deal with a known disease, where the odds are more predictable, support groups exist, friends understand the situation, research is abundant and the treatment plan is well documented. 

It's an incredibly complex disease to diagnose and treat. So far, the physical journey has led us from our home in Connecticut all the way to Cincinnati, OH.  But I expect the emotional journey will be much longer and infinitely more difficult. 

We are blessed to have such a strong network of friends, family and co-workers providing support and love as we face this fight. As we enter this journey, I'm saddened by the unjustness of those families without the support or financial means to offer their children a fair fight.  This blog is an appreciation of your support, acknowledgement of your love, an attempt to keep everyone informed and a dose of distractive therapy in our journey.

8 comments:

  1. Jeff, Know that so many of us are thinking of you and your family and saying prayers for Cole. He is blessed to have you all fighting for him and you are blessed to have him showing you the way. The rest of us are blessed, even from afar, to witness your family's love and dedication to the little boy who is inspiring us all. Much love and strength to each of you. ~Melissa (Kravitz) Suey and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff,

    It's Lisa (ciardullo), We are thinking about you and praying for Cole. I hope this goes without saying, but if you need anything, please let me know. I know that this has been difficult and will be in the coming months, but with all of the strenght and support he will beat this. Stay strong and we will pray. With love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff,

    My name is Shannon (Williams Yates) and my friend's son was dx with HLH in July. I wanted to make contact with you after reading your blog to let you know that there are two wonderful support groups on Facebook that may help your family along this journey: Our Histio Family and HLH Family (Warriors and Angels) There are several families in Cincy with children who went through BMT for HLH and I would be more then happy to put you in contact with them if you have not met them already? Please do not hesitate to contact me either via Facebook or email: syateshlh@yahoo.com

    I am going to post your blog in these groups and please know that Cole will have 800+ prayer warriors on his side.

    Good luck little man, I pray for your new health as you count down to day 0.

    Shannon
    Working Towards a Cure

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Name is Paul Keller You do not know me but I know all of you I am friends with your Mom & Dad. My prayers and thoughts are with you all. Someday I would like to meet Cole he sounds like a very special child

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Cole!!!you got this little buddy!!! keep up that awesome attitude and kick some histio butt!! (I am an adult LCH patient cheering and praying during your battle)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bud, hurry up and beat this thing. I'm going to need your help at my house making, and eating (!!), kaldunis. You'll be the guest of honor and chief kalduni maker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Cole!
    My name is Marsha Hixson, and I worked with your Mom and Dad in Orlando, Florida, at WKMG. You probably don't know it, but I have quite a collection of photographs of you, your brother, and sister. It is really fun to see all of your adventures. I am a huge Batman fan, so we definitely have that in common! I live in Washington, DC, however~~if there is any way I can help you, or your family, I will get in my car and head your way :)
    I love you!
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Cole stay strong and use all your Batman powers to fight this you are amazing:-) I was a friend of your mommy's growing up and I have a 5 year old little girl just like you. We are going to follow your fight and will be praying and cheering for you all the way. Go get them buddy.

    Tracy wingate bertonazzi

    ReplyDelete